About ninety-five percent of adult smokers begin smoking before they turn 21 – and tobacco retailers can help drive that number down by preventing access to tobacco and nicotine products. Research shows the following statistics in Utah:
- 4,300 Utah high school students smoke cigarettes.
- More than 70% of Utah youth who tried tobacco started with vape products.
- 1,340 Utahns die each year as a result of cigarette smoking.
- $542 million in smoking-related health care costs are incurred in Utah each year.
- $294 million is lost due to lost worker productivity each year.
The benefits for retailers of complying with Utah’s tobacco laws:
- Employees and owners won’t get fined, be charged with a crime or lose their job.
- Employees and owners may gain the respect of the community.
- Employees and owners may be rewarded by their local health department or manager.
- Employees and owners may help reduce the number of youth who may become addicted to tobacco.
- Fewer individuals younger than 21 will target tobacco retailers for illegal purchases.
The information on this site is an overview of Utah’s tobacco related laws. We hope this information will help tobacco retailers make responsible business decisions. Please contact the local health department’s tobacco prevention and control program with any questions.
*This site does not contain all of the tobacco regulations your business may need to comply with.
- The United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulates tobacco products at the federal level, and
- Many counties and cities have their own ordinances.
Please seek out these sources for more information on potential tobacco control related regulations.
The information on this site is for educational purposes only and does not represent legal advice. Although the Utah Department of Health will make every effort to ensure this guidance remains current, the department does not represent that every reference to a statute or regulation is up-to-date. Please consult with legal counsel if there are questions about a specific set of circumstances and how to comply with the law.